There are two different ways of saving document (without performing “proper” financial accounting posting) :
- Holding Document
- Parking Document
Hold Document: It is for short term and is used when tranaction Dr or Cr is uncertained and generally its is used for external purpose. eg: Advance from potential customer
Parking Document: Its is for longer period generally used for internal purpose. eg: Advance made for employes.
Parking documents is used when we need to get any clarification regarding some account
With hold document, data which has been entered can be saved temporarily in order to continue the entries at a later time. Document held by the system do not have tobe complete. No Account balances are updated and the data of the document is not available for evaluation. No document number is assigned.
Holding Document :
- No Document number assignment
- Free Assignment of the designation
- No Update of the transaction figures
- Not Taken into account for evaluation
Held document can be completed and posted or deleted at a point of time.
There are several reasons you might want to park a document:
- Some organizations use this as a security/separation of duties control: an accountant might create the entry and park it, does not have authorization to post, so a manager reviews the entry and posts it later
- The entry may be long and you are interrupted and need to come back to it later. Better to park an entry and come back to it than to leave it sitting open on your desktop
- You may build up a entry throughout the month, entering the pieces as you go along and parking it at month-end. I wouldn’t recommend this, but it is done.
you can enter incomplete document in the SAP document in the SAP system without having to check the entries extensively by parking document.
When parking document, the system assign a document number via the document type in the same way as with “normal” financial accounting posting.
Parking Document :
- Transaction Figures are not updated
- Document Number are assigned (internal number assignment) or the assignment is checked (external number assignment) depending on the document type and number area
- Some document can be included in evaluation / reports
substitution are not supported by the document parking feature. substitution can only be made with posting transaction after turning parked document into accounting documents.
The park document function are more effective than hold document function. additional park document function :
- Displaying authorization, approval
- principle of dual control
- acceleration of work procedure
Parking Document & Processing Park Document
You can alternatively check parked document for their incomplete resg, such as :
- Whether document balance is zero
- Whether all mandatory fields (posting key, account number) are filled out
- Account assignment templates can be used, but not reference document
Cross company code transactions can also be parked. only one parked document is created in the initial company code for such transactions.
When Parking Document :
- No transaction figures, asset value, control total are updated
- No automatic posting are created
- the balance is not checked
- Its displayed in the document overview of parked document
Ways of using document parking :
- Customer account (Invoice and credit memo)
- Vendor Account (invoice and credit memo)
- G/L account (G/L account postings)
Further process of parked documents are :
- Edit Parked Document
- Post Parked Document
- Parked Document Should only be deleted in exceptions
Editing Parked Document
a number of header and item fields can be edited including amounts.
The currency, The document type/number and the company code cannot be changed.
Dates, amount, account assignment objects can be changed. Changes can be made as often as required. multiple changes are possible.
Changes can be made to individual document, individual items, to several document by means of lists or with the line item list.
Changed to parked document can be displayed either before or after posting item.
Posting Parked Document
You can post parked document as standard transaction individually or via a selection list
if you post several document via a selection list, the system subsequently issues a list, indicating whether the document have been posted succesfully.
What happen when a parked document is turne into a “proper” document :
The usual inspections are performed when posting documents
a Normal complete financial accounting is created
History is documented
The document number remains the same
The transaction figures are updated
The parked document are deleted after creating a normal FI document
Workflow are usually initiated by a triggering event. Event are used to display in the changes in status of objects within the system. like the method, they are defined in the objects repository for each object type. events are initiated in the respective applications.